Alghero is a beautiful destination in Sardinia, Italy. It is best known for its beautiful beaches, very good food at reasonable prices, and its catalan origin, in fact it was known in the past as little Barcelona.
Alghero is serviced by several airlines including:
- Air One
It's easy navigating the streets of Alghero with a car. But you might have a problem finding a parking space. In the central town many spaces ar marked with blue color. This means there is someone employed to watch the spaces and charge you for parking. But they are friendly and usually wear yellow shirts. There is also a "free" parking lot by the marina where you can stay for ever. If you can visit sardinia, hire a car with "Aiguarentacar". It is well worth the outlay, and it will allow you to visit some of the more remote and enchanting places and areas. You may find many companies offering car hire like Hertz and Avis.
There is a station about fifteen minutes walking distance from the center of the town and marina. To get to the town from the station simply turn left out of the station on Don Minzoni, go straight for five blocks or so until you hit the beach and go left along Via Garibaldi. Alghero station runs trains operated by Ferrovie della Sardenia, not to be confused with Ferrovie dello Stato (Trenitalia). These are two separate companies, and you will have to take one of the many daily 35-minute trains from Alghero to Sassari in order to catch a connecting train operated by Trenitalia to another destination such as Cagliari. Tickets must be purchased separately at their respective stations. Ticket price Alghero-Sassari is Eur2.20. Sassari-Cagliari at standard fare second class will run you Eur13.65 each way. No student or age discounts.
There is a direct bus from Cagliari to Alghero. It costs €20 and takes 3.5 hours
The Palazzo d’Albis is a worthwhile historical site.
Don't miss Neptune's Grotto located at Cappo Caccia, a vast grotto reachable by boat trip. However, on bad weather days you can`t take the boat. Hiring a scooter is a fun way of getting there! It takes about 45 minutes, and on the way there, you should stop for lunch at Ristorante La Nuvola (about 35-minute drive from Alghero towards the Cappo Caccia, just on the right side of the road). When you arrive at the Cappo Caccia, it takes about 10 minutes to walk down to Neptune`s Grotto, and it is worth the view! 10 euros entry is paid at the entrance of the cave, and you get a half-hour guided tour in the cave in Italian, English and German. There is also the necropolis of Anghelu Ruju and Nuraghe Palmavera, two of the most important archeological sites of Sardinia.
This historic town has become one of the most popular destinations for visitors to Sardinia. The car free narrow lanes of the atmospheric old town contain numerous bars and cafes whilst the restaurants are renowned for excellent seafood. There are also two farmers markets in town, one for meat, bread and fish and the other for vegetables at Via Sassari 12, just opposite each other. Open daily 07-13.
If you want to good produce as well as cheese and a multitude of other things you didn't know you needed, there is the Mercatino every wednesday (9-14) in the area surrounding Via Corsica. This is where the locals go.
The surrounding area brings many delights for those who venture out of the city. These include the famous beaches at La Pelosa - Stintino, the eerily abandoned mining town of Argentiera and the ancient palace complex at Nuraghe di Palmavera. The coastal road south of Alghero is beautiful, an unspoilt and protected panorama of sparkling sea, lush vegetation, and rocky mountains. It leads to Bosa, a small medieval town, which has a distinctive and living historic center and many points of interest. Bosa is an ideal spot for a relaxing holiday, as it is friendly and has a character and economy which is not based solely on tourism.
- Scuba diving - The area with the Marine Reserve is one of the best dive destination in Europe( see http://www.adventurediving.it).
- Mountain Biking
- Bird watching
- Pintadera is a language school offering a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere for learning the Italian language and gaining a unique insight into Sardinian culture. The school is located in a picturesque alley in the heart of the old town. The group courses have between 3 and 6 persons and the four hours each morning are divided between two teachers - one is in charge of the grammar and the other of the communications. So, you learn the rules and regulations in the first part of the class and how to apply them in the second. It's a very effective method. For further information.
- Italiano in Riviera has been involved in the field of language teaching for more than 10 years offering Italian courses. The school is situated at just a short walk from the picturesque harbor and 5 minutes walk from the town center and San Giovanni beach, an ideal location for exploring the region’s breathtaking beaches. The quality of the courses - Qualified native-speaking teachers, simple and effective teaching methods, small groups of 6-8 students in a fun and stimulating atmosphere. The staff is made up of young, enthusiastic, qualified professionals with teaching experience and a good knowledge of at least two foreign languages, besides Italian.For further information Contact (http://www.italianoinriviera.it/)
Alghero is famous with its red coral jewelery as well as silverware.
As in most parts of Italy, food in Alghero is an important thing. The town's fishing port provides seafood fresh from the sea. Make sure that you try Catalan lobster, lobster salad with raw tomatoes and onion. Ricci (sea urchins) are also very popular in Alghero with a festival being held in their honor around February during the Sagra del Bogamarì.
A good restaurant where you can try typical dishes is Al Vecchio Mulino  the same management for 30 years
For a vegetarian and typical dishes go to Farm holiday Bonsai Alghero  near the airport.
In the historical center Da Pietro Via Machin, 20, 07041 Alghero, Tel +39 079 979645.
Take in the beautiful views at cafe Latino located on the battlements overlooking the harbour. There are also lots of late night bars on the Lungomare Valencia that get going at around about midnight. Local drinks are limoncello, mirto and some local wines that they serve in all restaurants.
Also you should not miss the Bar La Perla in Viale Sardegna. It serves great cappucino.
There are a whole number of possibilities for accommodation in Alghero from bed and breakfasts to Agroturismos(farm stays) and hotels. You can pick up a list of B&Bs at the friendly Tourist Information office. In the offseason, rates range from E25 - E50 for one person. Expect prices to double in July and August.
- Aigua Alghero B&B and Rent a Car (aigua alghero), old town alghero ambrogio machin 22 (& Rent a Car Front of Airport), ☎ +39 340 0777688 english contact +39 3395912476 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 11am; checkout: noon. Typical architecture Latin Euro: 60-100.
- B&B Ramblas (B&B Alghero), Lido San Giovanni Via Garibaldi, 79/M (Front of the sea), ☎ +39 347 1813100 (email@example.com). checkin: 11am; checkout: noon. B&B Alghero Euro: 60-100.
- Hotel Angedras Alghero (angedras alghero), via Frank, 2, ☎ +39 079 9735034 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +39 079 974928), . checkin: 11:30AM; checkout: 10:30AM. Three star hotel in a quiet residential street close to the old town, has stylish modern rooms. Hotel shuttle bus to the beach, internet point, high-speed Wi-Fi internet connection, restaurant (on the Bastions in Alghero's Old Town, with sea view). $53-150.
- Villa Las Tronas Hotel & Spa (Hotel Villa Las Tronas - 5 star), Lungomare Valencia, 1, (email@example.com). checkin: 15 p.m.; checkout: 12 p.m.. Once the residence of Italian Royalty during their holidays in Sardinia, Las Tronas conserves the historic atmosphere of the aristocratic buen retiro, renewing the tradition and charm of the ancient residence. A spectacular position, on the sea-shore. A peaceful, exclusive oasis on a private headland. Euro: 220-450.
- El Faro Hotel (El Faro Hotel), Porto Conte, 52, Alghero, ☎ +39 079 942 010. checkin: 15 p.m.; checkout: 12 p.m.. Luxury seafront hotel strategically located in Porto Conte Bay. The 5-star hotel has the shape of an ocean liner, with its stern laid down on the rocks, enriched by Spanish-style arches and balconies. min €190 - max € 350.
Capo Caccia - see Neptune's Grotto, which includes the "Goat's Staircase" and under water the limestone cliffs continue creating the most vaste underwater marine cave system, Nereo Cave is the bigger and famous with its huge halls and tunnels.