Asansol is an important junction on the Howrah-Delhi track and most of the trains stop here. For travel from Kolkata, 200 km, the short distance trains are ideal - Ranchi Shatabdi Express, Agniveena Express, Coalfield Express and Black Diamond Express from Howrah, and Inter City Express from Sealdah. Be sure to book a reserved seat in advance because the trains are generally crowded.Booking of ticket will also enable you to avoid the gross misbehavior of uncivilized, ill-mannered and irritating daily passengers.
Asansol is on Grand Trunk Road (NH 2) and so travel is straight. The road is superb with four lanes and a divider in place. Those travelling from Kolkata should take the Durgapur Expressway from Dankuni and then Grand Trunk Road (bypassing Bardhaman town)from Shaktigarh.Air-condition Volvo and State buses along with non-air-conditioned buses leave daily from Esplanade (Kolkata) for Asansol.The tickets could be booked in advance or at the spot before the departure of the buses. In order to ease yourself and get guided you may take the help of commissioned agents of the buses to procure a ticket. The Volvo bus journey is comfortable and relaxing in comparison to the journey by State ac-buses. The additional comfort comes at an additional cost.
Kolkata is the nearest commercial airport. There is a private airstrip at Burnpur, suitable for small planes.No direct flight service is available for Asansol.
Hired cars, auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws are available. Nobody goes by meters and so be sure to check about the hire charges before boarding.
- Nehru Park on the bank of the Damodar river in Burnpur.
- Churulia - here the famous poet - Kazi Nazrul Islam was born. He is considered the national poet of Bangladesh. The village is about 17 km from Asansol, and contains a museum with his works and a memorial for him. A fair with high standard cultural programmes are organised on the occasion of the poet's birthday in the Bengali month of Jaistha (May-June).
- Kalyaneswari Temple – The temple of the Lady of Fulfilment, about 20 km from Asansol has been a place of pilgrimage, particularly for barren women, for about five centuries. It is near Maithon. Normally one makes it a part of a visit to Maithon Dam.
- Maithon Dam - about 20 km from Asansol. It is approachable via Neamatpur or Asansol Bypass, or one can take a little circuitous route via Chirkunda. Those travelling in a car often take one route for going out and return by the other.
- Panchet Dam – about 17 km from Asansol. It is approachable by Chirkunda.
- Joychandi Pahar – popular picnic spot and centre for rock climbing training, is about 30 km from Asansol. One has to take a train on the Asansol-Adra line to get there. There is a station of that name.
- Satabdi Park: It is 2 km from the station. There are facilities for paddle boating and a few rides for children. Nice place to spend the evening.
- Manoj Talkies. You can watch all newly released movies here. Good cinema hall; one of the biggest with a seating capacity of almost 1800. edit
- Ghagar Buri Chandi Temple, NEAR NH2. Maa ghagar buri is one 'roop' of Maa Chandi. You can give puja in the morning time. You can take a car, taxi etc from ASN stn. edit
- Chelidanga, (2 km from station). Lower and Upper Chelidanga; Heart of Asansol....one should come to Lower Chelidanga at Christmas and New Year time to see the glory of the town at its best.... edit
- Asansol to Mython. 30 km edit
- Galaxy mall. one of the malls in asansol' giving you acces to almost all leading brands. edit
- eylex multiplex, galaxy mall. asansols first multiplex with a comfortable movie expirience edit
It is one of the big market in West Bengal. There are many shops available for buying clothes, electronic goods, sport accessories etc. beside from buying cheap clothes, accessories at footpath in the Hutton rd - Raha lane area you'll branded ones at some prominent shops like: mohan (raha lane-ht rd market) bazaar kolkata(raha lane) b.n. ghanty(raha lane-ht rd market) lilabati (raniganj) mansarovar (raniganj) Beside from main market at raha lane - hutton road one can visit raniganj, barakar, neamatpur, jamuria and amladahi. Cheap Chinese good are available at sabana market (raha lane).
- Arpan on Burnpur Road, adjacent to Chitra Cinema.
- Sudhamrit on Grand Trunk Road, right in the market place.
- Garam Masala Bombay hotel presents a complete vegetarian a/c restaurant in the market.
- Mr Dayamoy Maji, Mangaldeep, Near-Arghya, ☎ 09932133154. "PANIFALA" hot spring,about 7 km from heart of the city. It is a picnic spot. It has a lake for boating and beautiful garden of flowers. edit
- Jubilee Resorts
- Hotel Basil Inn
- Jadu Kadai
- Dominos Pizza, Galaxy Mall. edit
- Nilanjana Restaurant (Hotel Nidhi International), BNR More (Opposite Rabindra Bhavan), ☎ 0341-2253266. Great Food made to order, friendly staff, clean, comfort & privacy, well connected edit
- KFC, Galaxy Mall. edit
- Dominos, Centrum Mall. edit
- Durga Food Multi Cuisine Vegetarian Restaurant, G.T.Road, Murgasol More :. A good and clean pure vegetarian restaurant in Asansol. Good Quality of food and Service. Completely air conditioned. Do try the Garlic Nan and Chilly IDLI edit
Most of clubs in the area have the colonial old world charm but entry is restricted to members and their guests.
- The Asansol Club Ltd, Court More. Colonial style club build in 1919. The portico takes you back to the European Era. Entry strictly for the members. The Elite of the town enjoy the membership. Has facilities like Swimming Pool, GYM, Billiards and Pool Table, Lovely Bars and a full fledged restaurant. edit
- The Burnpur Club, Riverside Burnpur. British Style club mainly for all the officers of SAIL - IISCO Steel Plant. Has all modern facilities like Swimming Pool, GYM, BAR etc. The restaurant though has a gloomy atmosphere. edit
Hotel Asansol International
- sunny hotel, gt road egarkunda, kumardhubi, dhanbad, jharkhand, ☎ 9801541566. edit
- Hotel Shanti Nivas, ☎ +91 033 9830217777, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 11.30 AM. Hotel is just 50 min walk from the dam. Facilities include AC rooms, car parking, conference hall and playground. 550+. edit
- Hotel Asansol International, Murgasol More, G.T.Road. checkin: 12; checkout: 12. The first and oldest 3 star hotel of the now bustling city with decent rooms, Live music restaurant, swimming pool and a BAR US$ 40. edit
- City Residency, Nigha More, NH2. checkin: 12; checkout: 12. Newest 3 star of town strangely located on the NH2. Good rooms and also has a Fine Dine restaurant. US$ 50. edit
- Santiniketan - Visva-Bharati, founded by Rabindranath Tagore and now a central university and an institution of national importance, is located here. It is about 90 km from Asansol.
- Vishnupur - the famous terracotta temple town and home to major art and craft is about 100 km from Asansol. The Bankura horse, symbol of Indian handicrafts is produced at Panchmura, near Vishnupur. It is also the home of the Baluchari sari, initially woven with Ramayana and Mahabharata motifs but now modernised.
- Kendubillo – temple and birthplace of Sanskrit poet Joydeb, on the banks of the Ajay river, is about 80 km from Asansol. Makar sankranti mela with bauls (religious singers with a detached philosophy and spontaneity of their own) participating is held in mid January.
- Bakreshwar – hot spring and temple is about 70 km from Asanasol.
- Durgapur - 30 km from Asansol.
- Dhanbad - 60 km from Asansol.