Cairo/Dokki and Mohandiseen
Dokki and Mohandiseen are districts on the west bank of the Nile River, across from Cairo.
Mohandiseen is an upper-middle class to high-class area of west Cairo. It is mainly a good area for good restaurants, shopping, nightlife, and accommodation. Gamet el-Dewal al-Arabia Street is a main avenue for shops, restaurants, and modern coffee shops. Gamet el-Dewal runs from Sphinx Square (by 26th of July, close to Zamalek) at the northeast end, to Al-Nasr Square and the area near the Shooting Club. There are a few embassies located near Al-Nasr Square, including the embassies of Malaysia, Bahrain, and Qatar.
The main areas in Dokki, include around Amman Square near the Shooting Club, as well as along Tahrir Street, and Cilantro's is located at Mesaha Square. Cairo University, the Giza Zoological Garden, and the Orman Botanical Garden are located just to the south of Dokki. Numerous embassies are located in Dokki, including the embassies of Russia, Syria, Jordan, and Pakistan.
Dokki is accessible via the Cairo Metro, with a stop on Tahrir Street. The Dokki station is located two stops on the Giza-Shubra line from the Sadat station at Midan Tahrir. The Cairo Metro does not serve the Mohandiseen area, though there are plans to build a new Metro line that would serve Mohandiseen sometime in the future.
- Mohandiseen is accessible via taxi (~10 LE from Midan Tahrir).
- A taxi to Dokki from Midan Tahrir should cost ~6-7 LE.
- Agricultural Museum, Al-Sawra Street, Mohandiseen (Next to the Ministry of Agriculture). edit
- Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil Museum, 1 Kafour Street, Dokki. Art gallery, located in what was once Khalil's palace edit
- Cairo Jazz Club, 197, 26th July Street (From Zamalek, just before Sphinx Square). Dancing and live music edit
- Tahrir Cinema, 112 El Tahrir Street, Dokki. Movie theater edit
- Best Buy - Apple Center, 7 Thawra Square (Midan Thawra), Mohandiseen (pronounced 'Sawra'), ☎ 202 37628391, . Not the same as Best Buy in the United States, but this is a good place to go Apple products, as well as service and technical support. edit
- Bashayer, Mosaddak St, Dokki. ceramics, jewelry, carpets, and a variety of other Egyptian-made items. edit
- Om El Saad, Mosaddak St, Dokki. Small shop with quality hand-made jewelry. edit
- Al Omda, 131 El Tahrir St, Dokki. Take away place that serves sandwiches, kofta, foul, koshari, fateer, etc. edit
- Gad, 97 El Tahrir St, Dokki. Serves foul, falafel, fateer, and other fast food. edit
- Chocofolie, 33 Amman St, Dokki. Delicious hot cocoa, desserts, milkshakes, as well as some non-chocolate menu items such as omelets and salads edit
- Cilantro's, El Mesaha Square, Dokki. Serves sandwiches, coffee, desserts. Mobinil WiFi edit
- McDonald's, El Mesaha Square, Dokki. Standard fast food edit
- Radwan, El Tahrir St & Dokki St, Dokki. Kebabs, chicken, pasta, vegetables, etc. edit
- Teriyaki, El Gazayer and Gamet el-Dewal al-Arabiya, Mohandiseen. Teriyaki meals, with chicken, shrimp, beef, or tofu, with vegetables, served with rice or noodles. edit
- Abou el-Sid, Amman Square, Dokki. Serves stuffed pigeon, veal, chicken, falafel, fateer, and other Egyptian cuisine. edit
- Ataturk, 20 El-Riyadh Street, Mohandiseen. 12PM - 2AM. Turkish cuisine, though not vegetarian friendly. No alcohol served.12 edit
- Cafe Tabasco, 7 Mosaddak St, Dokki. Sandwiches, pasta, chicken, beef, as well as American-style breakfast, coffee, tea, etc. edit
- Chili's, 2 El Fawakih Street, Mohandiseen. Burgers, chicken, fajitas, other tex-mex options. edit
- Kandahar, 3 Shara Gamet el-Dewal al-Arabiya, Mohandiseen. One of the best Indian restaurants in Cairo. The food is more expensive, but the portions are large enough that dishes can be shared. edit
- Stiletto Lounge, near Galae sq. This nightclub is located right on the river side opposite to the Sheraton hotel (which it is part of). Rich Cairese and only few expats and tourists dance to house tunes. Drinks are pricey (50 EGP for a beer, 70 for a longdrink), very friendly staff. They aren't tight about the notorious "couples only"- rule. edit
- Concorde Hotel, 146 Tahrir Street, Dokki. A simple hotel with all the basics, located near the noisy and busy Dokki Metro. edit
- Havana Hotel, 26 Syria Street, Mohandiseen, ☎ (+2) 02 37490758 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. 25-room hotel, provides free internet. US$80. edit
- King Hotel, 20, Abdel Rehim Sabri Str, Dokki, . A well run hotel, in a quiet neighboorhood. Good value. Wifi is free and connection is fast and stable. Breakfast is good. Inside restaurant and rooftop bar, serve good food food, but a little pricey. Single/double 35US$/45US$ (jan 2009). edit
- Superlux apartment, Damascus Street, Mohandiseen, ☎ +2 0123102440 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Large furnished 3 bedroomed apartment available to rent by the day on a quiet residential street in a wealthy and safe area. Opulently furnished, wifi internet, full kitchen, washing machine etc. A nice alternative to Cairo's hotels, near lots of restaurants and shops, but away from the tourists. $50-$100 per night. edit
- Pyramisa Suites Hotel & Casino Cairo, 60 Giza Street, Dokki, ☎ +202 3336 7000, . A 5 star hotel over looking the Nile, boasting big, elegant rooms and high quality restaurants. edit
- Safir Hotel Cairo, El Mesaha Square, Dokki, ☎ +202 748-2424, . Well decorated large rooms. edit
- Sheraton Cairo, Galae Square, Dokki (located along the Nile), ☎ (20)(2) 33369800, . checkin: Noon; checkout: Noon. Well run by friendly staff, the rooms are clean but a bit run down, with rust stains in the bathroom ceilings. Hosting a nice pool and bar, as well as a number of on site places to grab a bite. Located just on the Giza side of the Nile, between downtown and the Great Pyramids. US$160-220. edit