Chavín de Huántar
Chavín de Huántar is an archaeological site from the pre-Incan Chavin culture of around 900BC containing ruins and other artefacts. The site is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The access point for trips to Chavin de Huántar is Huaraz, 3 hours away - most travelers choose opt to take the easier option, and go with one of the numerous tour groups offering a Chavin itinerary, but it is quite easy to get there by public bus and the ruin is well in walking distance inside the town. Now, the highway is paved most of the way and the view on the way is spectacular.
- Chavin Express, Jr. Mariscal Cáceres 338, ☎ (043) 45-4022. offers buses Chavin as final destination, which leaves at 4AM, 7AM, 11AM and 22PM - fills up quickly so book ahead S/.12. edit
- Empresa de Transportes Sandoval, Jr. Mariscal Cáceres 338 (same office with Chavin Express), ☎ (043) 42-8069. offers more departures further afield with stop at Chavin. S/.12. edit
Several bus companies to destinations further into the province. These buses may not stop at the terminal of Chavin so get ready to "baja" once the bus get into the town.
Another option is to go for a beautiful 3 day hike, on a Inca trail, between Olleros (south of Huaraz) and Chavin, but make sure you hire a guide, from one of the many tour agencies, eg Peru Llama Trek .
- Edgar Zambrano (Peru Llama Trek), camino central s/n, ☎ 043425661, . Peru Llama Trek is a Adventure Tour Operator especially for OLLEROS CHAVIN TREK being based with its main office in the Pre-Inka trail Olleros Chavin in Canrey Chico(place where Inka Trail starts to Chavin) contact them at: www.perullamatrek.com 300. edit
- Banos Termales de Chavin (Chavin Hot Spring), 2km from central on the highway to Huaraz. 8am to 6pm (depends on the season). The hot spring of Chavin is a good place to relax after walking around in the ruin. It has five private baths called "Pozos" which are cleaned and filled with hot water for every use. To get there keep walking further on the road leading to the ruin for another 15-20 min, the road with merge with the main highway and further in 5 min you will see a blue gate. S/.3. edit
- Hotel Chavin Arqueologico, Inca Roca 141, ☎ (043) 45-4055. Singles from 8 USD. edit