To access the newer parts of town you will want to take either the first or second access entries into Goias from the main road. To access the historical area, enter at the third access road.From Goiania, 141km.
Traveling in from Goiania is a fairly straight shot through Inhumas.From Brasilia, 320km.
From Brasilia, take the newly finished road to Anapolis, taking the exit right into Anapolis right before the newly constructed (2007) bridge. Continue through town and exit towards Neropolis (you will need a map to transit Anapolis properly). Neropolis to Inhumas and then NW to Goias Velho
Most of the touristic places to see are in the Historical Area of the city, which can easily be handled on foot. There are taxis available for short trips out of town. The bus stop is a fairly lenghty walk from the historical section of town, so if you are carrying much luggage expect to need a taxi for the last leg of the trip. A car is not very useful for in-city activity as the streets are extremely narrow.
- XVIII-century buildings.
- Trekking. In the nearby Serra Dourada hills.
Use caution in the rainy season - flash floods are common!
- Andorinhas (spelling may be off) is a pleasant, isolated waterfall accessable via the NW exit from the historical district. It is fairly well sign-posted as of 2007. There is not a large swimming area but the waterfall is high, the area shaded, and children can easily walk under the water.
- Poco do Sucuri, 5 km outside of town towards Goiania, has a deep (3 meter) swimming hole with several sandy areas for the children to swim in. They serve an excellent lunch and have bathrooms and showers. http://www.pocodosucuri.com.br/index.html
There are various restuarants, including Pizzarias and Ice Cream shops (Sorvetes). Most open late (7 pm). Prices vary from R$15/person to R$40/person
- Pousada do Ipe, (62)-3371-2065, has one-room chalets that will sleep up to five at reasonable prices (R$147 in the low season). Breakfast is included.
- Additional listings available at http://www.ondehospedar.com.br/go/goias.php
- Additional listings also available at http://www.pousada.com.br