Gordon's Bay is adjacent to the Strand, on its Eastern side. Peacefully situated alongside False Bay’s beautiful, aquamarine ocean, and nestled in at the foot of the Hottentots Holland mountain range is the picturesque seaside town, Gordon’s Bay – offering visitors a series of fine activities and attractions to indulge in, which include everything from delicious Cape cuisine to natural wonders.
You can easily get there from Cape Town, following the N2 eastwards, exit to the Strand and drive from there further on.
Within the Old Harbour, one of the countries most renowned yacht clubs, Gordon's Bay Yacht Club, is proudly situated. From the old harbour, one can take a light sunset cruise on a yacht or catamaran; relax and sip wine; and watch the evening glitter of the ocean whilst listening to water lap the side of the boat. Perhaps you would prefer to journey out on a deep-sea fishing trip or simply take a mild boat ride. Gordon’s Bay’s Old Harbour caters for it all. One can also enjoy fresh seafood cuisine at the Old Harbour at its fine restaurant.
If you are planning on spending some time out in the sun, Gordon’s Bay is renowned for its long stretches of white, sandy beaches. Here one can enjoy peace of mind with safe and protected bathing. A popular and vibrant destination for beach and water activities is main beach, Gordon’s Bay. Along this fabulous stretch of sea and sand, one can enjoy sunbathing, snorkeling, jet and water skiing, surfing, volleyball, sailing, rubber ducking, and much more. A lively stretch of cafes, restaurants, coffee shop, pubs and curio shops neighbour in the beach in the form of the Gordon’s Bay beachfront promenade. Nearby, positioned in a cove flanking the old harbour, is Bikini beach – an intimate setting where one can enjoy a safe and protected swim as well as spend those warm summers taking in the sun’s rays. Other beaches in the area include Melkbaai, Sunset Beach and Kogel Bay.
One can charter a fishing boat and get the catch of the day or conduct some angling from the pier or shoreline. Scuba diving is available; one can conduct a certified diving course by joining a diving school.
Gordon’s Bay are surrounding areas are often considered to be a golfers paradise. The area consists of ten courses. Depending whether you go to Pearl Valley, De Zalze at Spier, Stellenbosch, Devonvale, Somerset West, Strand, Erinvale, Bosch-en-Meer or Arabella, the trip to your destination golf course ranges between 5 and 30 minutes journey from Gordon’s Bay central.
There is a vast a range of goods that can be bought in the Gordon’s Bay region, which range from indigenous art to electronic equipment. The County Craft Market has more than two hundred stalls, and offers its customers a diverse range of handcrafted arts and crafts. Somerset Mall, a mere fifteen minute drive from Gordon’s Bay, offers visitors is perfect for a modern shopping excursion. Just about any item can be found at Somerset Mall, on the Western Cape’s largest shopping centres.
Harbour Island, the new waterfront development, offers visitors a myriad of different vibes and flavours. With several prime restaurants – which include Snappers Restaurant, Dutch Bar, and the Star Fish Café – one can enjoy a light lunch, have an early evening drink, or indulge in mouth-watering food adjacent to the sea. All of these lively or intimate venues are tailored to cater for an international clientele.
- Mi Casa Restaurant & Cocktail Bar, 157 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 856 3128, . A comfortable new restaurant near Bikini Beach in Gordon's Bay. They have a wide variety of menu items and cocktails. edit
Gordon’s Bay has a supreme range of accommodations that cater for all types of travelers.
- Avignon Guesthouse, 7 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 856-1453 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)21 856-0129), . edit
- Le Coco, 131 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 856-1631 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)21 856-0129), . edit
- Fynbos Self Catering, 90 Chapman Avenue, ☎ +27 (0)21 856-1824 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)21 856-1824), . A holiday house and garden flat with Uninterrupted views of mountains and sea. From R200 per night for two. edit
- Berg en Zee Guesthouse, 135 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 856-3095 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)21 856-4080), . checkin: 14h00; checkout: 11h00. Elegant and comfortable Gordon's Bay guesthouse with sea views from every room. Situated just 50 metres from the beach and in walking distance to restaurants. Children welcome. From R425 per night per person. (34 09 49.46,18 51 48.17) edit