ISimangaliso Wetland Park
The iSimangaliso Wetland Park (previously known as Greater St. Lucia Wetlands Park),  is one of the most diverse region in South Africa's KwaZulu-Natal province. It is also an UNESCO World Heritage site and very popular with tourists.
The Isimangaliso Wetland Park extends over highly varied terrain and areas, with several smaller provincial and private game reserves and farms included within its boundaries.
Flora and fauna
Mammals and Reptiles
iSimangaliso is well known for its extensive wetlands, sand dunes and beaches. With large herds of game, visiting whales in the winter months (May to october), rafts of hippopotami and sun-basking crocodiles. Mammals and reptiles that are see regularly include:
Lion, African Wild Dog, Elephant, Green-backed Turtle, Leather-backed Turtle, Hippopotamus, African Rock Python, Mocambican spitting Cobra, Gaboon Viper, Forest Cobra, Water Monitor, Nile Crocodile, Leopard, Spotted Hyena, Samango monkey, White or Square-lipped Rhinoceros, Black or Hooked-lipped Rhinoceros, Cheetah, African (Cape) Buffalo, Waterbuck, Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Grey duiker, Steenbuck, Red Duiker, Suni Antelope, Four-toed Elephant Shrew, Common Reedbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Burchells (Plains) Zebra, Giraffe, Water Mongoose, etc.
At last count over 526 bird species have been found. For bird-watching tourists some of the special birds include the following:
Great White Pelican, Pink-backed Pelican, Rufous-bellied Heron, Saddle-billed Stork, Yellow-billed Stork, Lesser Flamingo and Greater Flamingo. Eastern Bronze-naped Pigeon, Southern Banded Snake-Eagle, Crested Guineafowl, Buff-spotted Flufftail, Lesser Jacana, Caspian Tern, Livingstone's Turaco, Green Malkoha, Swamp Nightjar, Mangrove Kingfisher, African Broadbill. Eastern Nicator, White-throated Robin-Chat, Brown Scrub-Robin, Bearded Scrub-Robin, Rudd's Apalis, Woodwards' Batis, Short-tailed Pipit, Rosy-throated Longclaw, Gorgeous Bush-Shrike, Neergaard's Sunbird, Green Twinspot, Pink-throated Twinspot, and Grey Waxbill.
Follow the N2 from Hluhluwe. The town of St. Lucia is more or less the entrance to the park.
- Kosi Bay, . Kosi Bay is an undiscovered paradise offers diverse and unique tourism activities and attractions in a fabulous subtropical climate. edit
Most importantly for tourists, iSimangaliso Wetland Park provides opportunities for self-managed activities as well as guided activities by local service providers, lodges and guides. For budget or cost conscious travellers, most terrestrial activities can be done without assistance, including driving and walking safari's in the various parks and reserves within the boundaries of the Greater Park region. This includes day walking trails, swimming at the various beaches and overnight or multi-day hiking trails.
Areas with dangerous game (the Big-5 plus hippopotamus and crocodile) are sign-posted and walking activities may be restricted. Remember to check with the relevant park authority.
- Go on a boat cruise to see hippos and the wetlands.
- Crocodile Park
- Cape Vidal
- Horse Safaris
- Game drives and vehicle-based safari's
- Ocean Experience Whale Watching, 57 Mckenzie Street, ☎ +27 35 5901555, . Join Ocean Experience, Whale Watching St Lucia. Go insearch of the mighty Humpback Whales as they migrate past the shores off St Lucia. This 2 hour Boat Based excursion operated by a Legal Permit Holder. The vessel complies to all SAMSA legislation. Witness the 3rd largest Mammal in the World edit
- Heritage Tours Hippo & Croc Boat Cruises, 57 Mckenzie Street St Lucia, ☎ +27 35 5901555, . Join Shoreline Hippo & Crcocodile Boat Cruises and venture up one of Africa's largest Estuarine systems. Hippo's wallowing and Nile Crocodiles basking in the African sun, Birdlife abundant. Shoreline Boat cruises an exclusive way to discover the St Lucia Estuary. R170.00. edit
- Heritage Tours & Safaris, 57 Mckenzie Street St Lucia, ☎ +27 35 5901555, . Heritage Tours & Safaris offers day excursion safaris and night drive excursions into iSimangaliso Wetlands Park. Discover this amazing World Heritage Site. Daily departures to Cape Vidal Western Shores and Night Drives into the Western Shores as we go insearch of the elusive Leopard and Elephants that frequent this area. edit
- Hippo & Croc Boat Cruise, ☎ +27 35 5901555, . Departing daily to witness Hippo's & Crocodiles an amazing outing on one of the largest Estuarine systems in Africa edit
- The town of St. Lucia offers a number of restaurants.
- Maputaland Bush Camp, (Kosi Bay or Manguzi), ☎ +27 72 7273079, . The bushcamp sleeps ten people, or fourteen if sharing. The accommodation is bush style huts with on suite shower and toilet. We serve excellent home cooked meals (european breakfasts, lunches and dinners) served in the main house or a picnic lunch when on a day excursions / activities. We tried to preserve the bush experience. Solar panels provide enough lights at night. When essential a generator can supply a few hours of electricity per day. We have stables with horses on site. R200 pp. edit