Mudgee  is a township in the Central West region of the Australian state of New South Wales. Together with its neighbour Gulgong, Mudgee offers a fantastic historical heritage and a host of great small wineries.
Mudgee's name comes from a local Aboriginal phrase meaning "nest in the hills", reflecting the town's position amongst hills created by long extinct volcanoes.
From Sydney, Mudgee is an easy 3.5 hour drive (261 km). Take the Great Western Highway through the Blue Mountains or alternatively the Bells Line of Road through Windsor. Turn off for Mudgee just past Lithgow.
From Newcastle, Mudgee is a 3.5 hour drive (290 km). Take New England Highway to Singleton. Turn off for Jerry's Plains, through Denman, Sandy Hollow, Merriwa. Turn off for Mudgee approximately 10 km past the Cassilis intersection.
From Sofala, Ilford and Mudgee.
From Gunnedah, Tambar Springs to Coolah and Mudgee.
Countrylink  coach connections are available from Lithgow, meeting the morning Dubbo XPT. Cityrail ] trains service Lithgow every 1-2 hours from Sydney, with an additional afternoon/evening service running to Mudgee every day but Saturday.
Mudgee has a local bus service. .
Many of the attractions of Mudgee are in the surrounding areas, and although the town centre is nice, being in town for a few days without a car or bicycle could be frustrating to a traveller.
- Mudgee Museum (Colonial Inn Museum), 126 Market Street.
- The town's annual Wine Festival is held in late September.
- The Mudgee Amateur Dramatic Society performs one-act plays and productions throughout the year, and a musical is performed during the Wine Festival.
- There is an annual airshow, Wings, Wheels and Wine, at the airport in April. There is a aviation museum at the airport open all year round.
- The Mudgee region is home to dozens of wineries. Each road out of the town has clear signs directing visitors to all of the area's wineries, and maps can also be obtained from the town's Information Centre, located in Market Street.
- As well as wine and mead, the Mudgee region is renowned for its wide choice of conserves, tapenades, mustards, wine jellies, vinegars, olive oils and honeys
- Oakfield Country Store is where you can buy fresh homemade food and local goods. Located at Cassilis Road, Mudgee, NSW.
- Parklands Resort & Conference Centre, Cassilis Road Mudgee 2850, .
- Horatio Motel, 15 Horatio St, Mudgee, ☎ +61 (0) 26372 7727, . edit
- Colonial Court Villas, 159A Market St, ☎ 02 6372 0529, . Self-contained Mudgee Accommodation just minutes from the main township. edit
- Wildwood Guesthouse, Henry Lawson Drive, ☎ (02) 6373 3701, . Mudgee guesthouse offering luxury accommodation edit
- Mudgee Visitor Information Centre, 84 Market Street, tel 02 6372 1020, fax 02 6372 2850