There are several flights a day from Bishkek and back. It costs from 30 to 50 euro. Furthermore, Aerosvit flies to directly to Kiev (starting from April 2012)-Aerosvit went bankropt in 2013. S7 Airlines (Siberia Airlines) almost daily flies to Moscow. Turkish Airlines also fly direct from Istanbul.
There are two weekly sleeper buses (Mon and Fri) from [Kashgar] in China leaving at 10:00 (Beijing time) and the trip takes about 18 hours. The price is ¥470 and the buses depart from Kahsgar international bus station. As the road through Irkeshtam is at high altitude, remember to take warm clothes to the bus even during summer. Sit on the left for better views.
Prices of shared taxis from Bishkek to Osh vary quite a lot. In spring, when seasonal workers are travelling from Osh to capital and then to Kazakhstan or Russia, it will cost less, and vice versa in autumn. Price in shared taxi Bishkek-Osh is 1000-1500 som per person (May 2012). Taxi to Bishkek park on Zainabetdinova street. Other good option is 500-700 som per person for a place in cargo-passenger minivan. It's actually much more comfortable than shared taxi, cause it has sleeping bunks. It takes some time to get to the center (in Osh cargo vans start from KaraSu market (30 som from the center) in Bishkek from DorDoi market (12 som from the center)). These vans take just 2-3 hours more than shared taxis and always run overnight, starting 3-6 pm. Unfortunately, you will miss the great view on the Bishkek-Osh road in this way.
Place in a shared taxi to Murghab is 1500 soms (May 2012), in russian jeep or normal jeep, though the last one is much more comfortable. Drivers like to overcharge tourists, but remember, they badly need passengers, and finally will agree to regular price. You dont have to pay extra for reasonable-sized backpack or for a good seat (just be the first passenger to reserve one). But driver might ask you extra money if you would like to stop on the way for taking photos. Anyway, don't pay over 2000 soms. Jeeps to Murghab park inside the car stand to Bishkek, ask around. There are very few jeeps every day, some days no any. No fixed schedule, all depends on demand. When they get enough passengers, they would leave. You could come to the stand about afternoon, exchange phone numbers with few drivers and later join one, who will be leaving first. There is no public transportation directly to Khorog, you have to change in Murghab.
To Sary Tash place in a shared taxi is 400-500 soms (May 2012.) They also park somewhere on Zainabetdinova street. But they could wait for passengers quite a long time, so better option is just head to the highway (for example take marshrutka to Karatai or Gulcha from the old bus station) and hitch marshrutkas or private cars passing by. Trucks could be very cheap (free-200 soms) but quite slow. Car makes it in 3 hours, truck could take from 5-6 hours up. In Sary Tash usually there are a lot of trucks to Irkeshtam pass (daytime on workdays, 100 soms should be enough) but very very few extra transport on Pamir highway, and direct transport from Osh to Murghab could be full.
During the way from Bishkek, road reaches 3600 above sea level. In the pass there is 2 km long tunnel, therefore be careful or try to hitch big care in front and get off after that.
The city has several monuments, including one to the southern Kyrgyz "queen" Kurmanjan Datka and one of the few remaining statues of Lenin. A Russian Orthodox church, reopened after the demise of the Soviet Union, the largest mosque in the country (situated beside the bazaar), and the 16th-century Rabat Abdul Khan Mosque can be found here.
- Sulamain-Too Sacred Mountain. A mountain looming over the city full of ancient sites of worship, some still in use, dating back several millennia. It is considered the most complete example of a Central Asian sacred mountain, and accordingly has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's also just a good place to have a hike and take in the views.A cave in the mountain is the site of a museum containing a collection of archaeological, geological and historical finds and information about local flora and fauna. 20 som. edit
Colourful bazaar, open 7/7, biggest on Sundays, smallest on Mondays.
In the city center there is a 3 story Yurt. It takes about 10 minutes to go around and costs about 50KGS (less then $1). For the money it is great value and very interesting to see. You can also say for the rest of your life that you have been in a 3 story Yurt.
- The Bazar, (In the north of the town on both sides of the river). A very large market/bazar with plenty of different things for sale. If you are planning to buy souvenirs, do that here. And do not forget to negotiate. edit
- Nirvana Restaurant. Short taxi ride outside of city center; European and local cuisine; good shashlyk, steak, chicken and beef burritos. Indoor and outdoor dining areas, with toys for kiddies. Good service, clean. They brew their own beer, the vats are visible from the dining room in a large area next door. edit
People mostly drink green or black tea. This is drunk out of a small bowl. People usually pour a little into the bowl to clean it before filling up the bowl.
- Osh Guesthouse, ... 3rd entrance, apt. 48. (A bit difficult to find. It is situated in the block between the Kyrgyzstan rd. and Osh rd. Try to ask the locals or the taxi drivers for directions.). checkout: 12:00. A nice, basic and friendly hostel in a normal Osh flat. There are two 4 bed dorms, a double room and a kitchen. The hostel only has one bathroom so you might have to wait a while to get your morning shower. Laundry service (for 60 som/kg) and wi-fi (for 200 som/24h) is available. English and German is spoken.> Dorm 350 som, double 560 som, single 790 som. edit
- Stari Gorad Hotel, (Next to the New Mosque. Cross zainabetdinova street. First street on your right. First gate on your right. No sign. Entrance in a courtyard.). checkout: 12:00. No dorm. Clean place, only private bathrooms, kitchen available. A nice woman runs the place. She speaks english. Double room 300 som/pp. edit
- Biy Ordo ((Pronounced bee ordo)), Biyordo.firstname.lastname@example.org (it is in the NW corner of Osh. Start on the main north- south road, east of the city.( Razzakov street.) Look for blue and yellow building, maybe six stories tall. Can't miss it. Turn west just north of small park, go one block and turn right. Go 200 yards north past big houses and Biy Ordo is on your left.), ☎ 996-556008989, . checkin: 12:00. Wifi, small hot breakfast, refrigerator in room with private western bathroom. About 30-35 usd. Host speaks good English. Very warm and friendly. 30-35 USD. edit
- Taj Mahal hotel. The Taj Mahal hotel is located near the Osh guesthouse, directly North of the main mosque, and it also offers dorm accommodations for the same price, although they will almost certainly try to sell you a private room. You'll probably be directed there if the Osh guesthouse is full. It is much quieter than the Osh guesthouse, but has no kitchen and is a much worse place for meeting other travelers or getting local information (they guys at the Osh guesthouse are really quite interesting to talk to). But beware, money has been stolen from rooms here - stay at your own risk. edit
Talant Toksonbaev Speaking English coordinator Tourist Information Center mob: + 996 555 077621
On most days there will be a shared van to Sary Tash and Occasional transport to Murghab. You will pay the full fare to Murghab even if you want an intermediate destination.