Pekanbaru has the reputation of being one of the cleanest big cities in Indonesia and is the third largest city in Sumatra after Medan and Palembang. The city is developing rapidly, but still has much unique architecture with a taste of Malay culture.
By planeFrom inside Indonesia
Batik Air, Indonesia AirAsia, Garuda Indonesia, Sriwijaya Air, Lion Air and Wings Air serves flight to/and from Sultan Syarif Kasim II International Airport, Pekanbaru.
Garuda Indonesia flies 6 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru.
Batik Air flies 3 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru.
Sriwijaya Air serves the route to/from Medan and Jakarta.
Lion Air flies 7 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru and also serves the route from/to Batam and Medan.
Sky Aviation serves the route to/from Tanjung Pinang.From elsewhere
- Air Asia website: http://www.airasia.com (Call centre 0804-1-333333 in Indonesia; 1-300-88-9933 in Malaysia) flies daily from/to Kuala Lumpur-Pekanbaru. Morning flights (10am)on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.Afternoon flights (4pm) on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- Firefly website: http://www.fireflyz.com.my Call centre: +603-7845 4543 in Malaysia) flies daily from Subang airport (Kuala Lumpur) and Johor Bahru to Pekanbaru.
- Wings Air website: http://www.lionair.co.id flies Wednesday and Sunday to/from Malacca.
- Sky Aviation website: http://www.sky-aviation.co.id/ flies 5 times a week to/from Malacca.
- Silkair url: http://www.silkair.com flies between Singapore and Pekanbaru 5 times a week.
- Tiger Mandala url: http://www.tigerairways.com flies between Singapore and Pekanbaru 4 times a week.
By boatFrom inside Indonesia
- To Riau Islands: Several companies operate ferries to Sekupang, Batam. Most ferries make a stop at Tanjung Balai on Karimun Island as well as Tanjung Buton and Selat Panjang in Riau.
UPDATE: To/From Batam. The way to travel between the Riau Islands and Pekanbaru now involves a 3hr minivan ride and a 3-6 hour ferry. Tickets can be purcahased at the Sungai Duku port in Pekanbaru for the mini-van and ferry combination ticket. The minivan picks you up at your hotel, picks up the rest of the pasengers, and then drives to the ferry dock in Tanjung Buton, about 3.5 hours away. Then you wait a bit until the ferry comes. The ferry comes, you pay a 1000Rp terminal fee, and then board the ferry. Pekanbaru-Tanjung Balai ticket cost 265000 on March 26,2011.
- To/from Malacca, Malaysia:
- Tunas Rupat Follow Me Express (Pekanbaru agent: Jl. Tanjung Datuk No 153, Pekanbaru. Tel: +62-761-858777. Malacca ticketing booth at Jln PM10 Melaka Raya. Tel: +60-6-2816766, office Tel: +60-6-2832506, +60-6-2832516) has ferries from Malacca to Pekanbaru on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 0930. From Pekanbaru to Malacca, they depart on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 0900. Journey time about six and a half hours. Tickets cost RM120/210 one-way/return from Malacca to Pekanbaru. There are unconfirmed reports that this ferry no longer operates. An alternative is to take the ferry to Dumai from Malacca. Leaving daily at 11 am. Takes around 2 hours. One way 250'000 IDR, return 460'000 IDR.
- NNH Ferry Services (Malacca ticketing booth G-15, Jln PM10, Plaza Mahkota Melaka Raya. Tel: +60-6-2881334) runs the Pelita Jaya ferry from Malacca to Pekanbaru on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9am.
You can find kind of transportations mode in Pekanbaru. There are are Mikrolet (Share taxi), Bus, Ojek (Motorcycle taxi), and Taxi. The new mode is Trans Metro Pekanbaru. It is like Trans Jakarta Busway in Jakarta. We have to buy the ticket first at their bus stop, one way fare is IDR 3.000. It's still on going project by Pemko Pekanbaru.
Bus terminal AKAP is located 5km from town. From bus station to town there are many public buses that stop at pre-determined stops. Tickets cost IDR 3000 and can be purchased inside the bus stop from a ticket agent.
Despite of being one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Indonesia, Pekanbaru is not a main tourist destination. But if you were in the city for some reasons, there are some interesting places in Pekanbaru:
- Sang Nila Utama Museum, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. (The one and only museum in Pekanbaru. Displays some cultural and historical collection of Riau.). edit
- Idrus Tintin Arts Hall, Jl. Jend. Sudirman (One of the city's landmark. A great building with Malay and modern architecture. Some great events held here from Musabaqah Tilawatil Qur'an (MTQ) to Indonesian Film Festival). edit
- The Great Mosque of An-Nur, Jl. Syekh Burhanuddin (One of the city's landmark. The largest mosque in Riau. This mosque is located just opposite to The Great HKBP Cathedral.). edit
- The Great Mosque of Pekanbaru, Jl. Masjid Raya (Pasar Bawah) (The oldest mosque in Pekanbaru. Built by the Siak Sultanate.). edit
- Soeman H.S. Regional Library, Jl. Jend. Sudirman (One of the city's landmark. A great building with Malay and modern arcitecture. The largest library in Sumatra.). edit
- Chinese-Malay Quarter, Jl. Dr. Leimena / Jalan Karet (The city's little chinatown. Chinese New Year festival held here.). edit
- Labersa Water Park, Jl. Labersa Parit Indah (Water park, golf course, 5-star hotel and convention centre.). edit
- Lembah Sari Reservoir Park, Rumbai (A recreational park. Popular just to people from other regencies and towns in Riau province.). edit
- Alam Mayang Park, Jl. Harapan Raya (A recreational, fishing, and outbond park. Popular just to people from other regencies and towns in Riau province.). edit
- Play golf, Pekanbaru Golf Course Country Club at Kubang, Simpang Tiga Golf Course at Simpang Tiga, Labersa Golf Course at Labersa and Rumbai Golf Course at Rumbai Chevron Camp. edit
There are three major malls in Pekanbaru. The two best are Mall SKA and Mall Ciputra Seraya. The older Mall Pekanbaru is not as well appointed as the other two but is still a good mall and offer a decent selection of restaurants. The location of the three malls are locally well known so getting there shouldn't be a problem. There are several other less interesting malls in Pekanbaru, some are closer to an indoor market then a mall and are great places for bargains.
- Mall Pekanbaru, Jl. Jend. Sudirman. Mega Dept. Store, Lucky Mart,Gramedia Book Store, Handphone Centre, Solaria, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Ikan Bakar Cianjur, KFC, Bread Boutique, MP Night Club. edit
- Plaza Senapelan, Jl. Teuku Umar. Suzuya Dept. Store, D'cost Seafood Reastaurant, A&W. edit
- Plaza Sukaramai, Jl. Jend. Sudirman. Ramayana Dept. Store, Trade Centre, Market. edit
- Pasar Bawah (Pasar Wisata/Tourist Market). You can find souvenirs, traditional foods and snacks, traditional products, and import products. edit
- Mall SKA, Jl. Soekarno Hatta. You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Hypermart, Pizza Hut, A&W, Popeyes, J.CO Donuts and Cofee, BreadTalk, Excelsior, RotiBoy, Solaria, Rice Bowl, KFC, Disc Tarra, Electronic Centre, Billiard Centre. edit
- Mall Ciputra Seraya, Jl. Riau. You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Food Mart, KFC, Texas Chicken, A&W, Pizza Hut, Solaria, Rice Bowl, J.CO Donuts and Coffee, New Zealand Natural Ice Cream, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Disc Tarra, Time Zone. Riau21 (a branch of 21 bioskop) is located here. edit
- Plaza Citra, Jl. Pepaya. Matahari Dept. Store, Mister Bakso, Timezone. edit
- Metropolitan City (MTC), Jl. HR Subrantas km 12. You can find Giants Hypermarket.Kentucky fried chicken and solaria restaurant. edit
- Panam Square, Jl. HR Subrantas. Ramayana Dept. Store. edit
- Fiji Tours and Travel, JL. Prof. Moh. Yamin No. 88, ☎ +62 761 860022, +62 852 6585 9600, . you can find cheapest domestic and international air ticket, local car rental and inbound tour edit
- Smart Computerindo, JL. Riau No. 12B, ☎ +62 761 28761, +62 823 8885 8522, . where you can find all the latest IT stuff and gadgets with good pricing edit
- Durian at durian stalls along Jl. Sudirman. edit
- Kedai Kopi Seleraku, Jl. Teuku Umar No.90 C. Famous for Nyonya food, lots of choices.One of the oldest Kedai Kopi in PekanBaru edit
- Restoran Taman Anggrek, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai No. (Komp. Taman Anggrek), ☎ 571398 or 571425. If your taxi driver can find it, good Chinese and Indonesian food. The chili garlic crab is excellent and if the matriarch is there the service is excellent. There's also Anom Restaurant at Anom Hotel on Jl. Gatot Subroto, they have the same owner. Whatever food you find on Restoran Anom Taman Anggrek, you also can find at Anom Restaurant. edit
- Koki Sunda, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No.247, ☎ +62761849998. Sundanese restaurant. edit
- Minang Soto, Jl. Pattimura, Rumbai. Famous for the Soto Padang. There are two restaurants with a same name in the street. Recommended is the one in a shophouse. edit
- Pondok Samba Lado Hijau, Jl. Soekarno Hatta No. 88 F, ☎ +6276136456. The speciality here is Fish, infused with Minangkabau/Malay style. edit
- RM Kota Buana, Jl. HOS Cokroaminoto no. 16, ☎ +6276122874. Minangkabau restaurant. Famous for their Rendang and Cincang Kambing. edit
- Apollo Seafood Restaurant, Jl. Jend. A. Yani, ☎ +62-761-858912. is one of a number of Chinese restaurants in Pekanbaru, and also has branch on Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto no. 30-32 Phone +62-761-35234 edit
- Pondok Gurih, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 202, ☎ +6276127069. When you enter this restaurant, the staff will hit the Gong at the entrance. edit
- Bumbu Desa, Jl. Jend. Sudirman. Sundanese restaurant. edit
- Riau Kuring, Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 405-409. Located behind VanSquare. edit
- Tenda Biru, Jl. Arifin Ahmad. Famous for Mie Aceh (Aceh Noodles) edit
- Bebek Goreng H. Slamet, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 201, ☎ 076144886. edit
- Ayam Goreng Suharti, Jl. Riau. Famous for its Javanese fried chicken and Yogyakarta food such as gudeg and sambal krecek. edit
- Kedai Kopi Kim Teng, Jl. Senapelan. A Chinese kopitiam (coffee shop). '. edit
- Bakmi Gila, Jl Gatot Subroto. A new place in town for people who like noodles & spicy food, bakmi gila means crazy noodle. edit
- Kedai Kopi Gundaling, Jl. Juanda. You can taste the most authentic localized Chinese food in this Chinese kopitiam, especially an original menu from Bagan Siapi-api that cannot be found anywhere else. A specialty named Karipeng contains pork and is non-halal. edit
- Restaurant Anom, Jl. Gatot Subroto No. 3, ☎ +6276120312. A prominent Chinese restaurant that serves varieties of Chinese foods. edit
Online booking for hotels in Pekanbaru is not available, except for high end hotels as listed below.
- Grand Elite Hotel, ☎ 0761 - 860 988, . Grand Elite Hotel Pekanbaru is the first Business Hotel in Pekanbaru. Located in the heart of Pekanbaru's China Town in Komplek Riau Business Center at Jalan Riau in the Tampan District, a well-known entertainment area. edit
- Winstar Hotel, ☎ 0761 - 23588, . Winstar Hotel Pekanbaru is located in the heart of Pekanbaru. On top of its modern minimalist design and international service standard, it will only take less than 3 minutes to the 3 major commercial streets (Jl. Ahmad Yani, Jl. Riau, Jl. Jend. Sudirman). edit
- Premiere Hotel, Jl Jend Sudirman No 389, ☎ 62-761-7891818. New and chic hotel in town, 4 star, spacious rooms. edit
- Aston Pekanbaru City Hotel, ☎ 62-761 886888, . 3-star Boutique business hotel with an ultramodern theme. One of the few Pekanbaru hotels that offer online booking. edit
- Hotel Aryaduta, Jl. Diponegoro No. 34, ☎ 62-761-44200. 5-star. Reasonable rates with special discounts during the weekend. Superior room starts from IDR550,000 per night (inclusive of a buffet breakfast). The hotel has a nice swimming pool and soccer field. edit
- Jatra Hotel, Jl Tengku Zainal Abidin No.1, ☎ 62-761-850888, . 4-star hotel. Inside the biggest mall (Mall Pekanbaru), has special services such as Traditional Massage, Sauna and Health club. This Hotel is connected directly to first class entertainment in Pekanbaru, such as Hugo's Cafe, Karaoke club, and KTV. Satisfaction guaranteed. edit
- Hotel Grand Zuri Pekanbaru, Jl. Teuku Umar No.7, ☎ 62-761-857888, . 4-star hotel directly opposite by walking distance to 2 big Malls, MP and Senapelan Plaza, in the heart of Pekanbaru. 24 hour coffee shop, LoungeBar, Taurus Health Club and outdoor pool. edit
- Labersa Grand Hotel & Convention Center, Jl. Labersa, Parit Indah, . 5-Star. Possibly the most luxurious hotel in Pekanbaru. 10 minutes from the airport. This hotel is one compound with Labersa Golf Course and Labersa Water Park. edit
- Hotel Pangeran Pekanbaru, Jl.Jend. Sudirman No. 371-373, ☎ +62761853636, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. 4-star. Located near Pizza Hut, opposite Martin Boutique and Durian stalls. edit
- Mutiara Merdeka Hotel, Jl. Kom. L Yos Sudarso 12-A, ☎ 6276131272, . 4-star. edit
- Furaya Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 72, ☎ 6276126688, . One of the more well known hotels in Pekanbaru for Chinese Wedding Receptions. Located near the Pasar Buah Pekanbaru (Pekanbaru Fruit Market). edit
- Hotel Ibis Pekanbaru, Jl. Soekarno Hatta Kav. 148, ☎ +62761571600, . 3-star. The only Accord hotel in Pekanbaru. edit
- Anom Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto No. 1-3, ☎ +6276136083. The original famous Anom Restaurant is located in this hotel, they have now opened a branch on Taman Anggrek. edit
- Aziza Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai. 3-star. A modern Islamic hotel in Pekanbaru. edit
- Sabrina Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai, ☎ (0761) 789-3292. checkin: 6am; checkout: 12pm. Modern budget hotel for travellers. Includes free WiFi, air con, tv and water Standard 167,000. (0.5016439,101.4228435) edit
- Pelangi Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto 39 B, ☎ +62761854899. Modern budget hotel managed by Grand Zuri. edit
- Ratu Mayang Garden Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 11, ☎ +6276140370. edit
- Amaris Hotel, Jl. K.H Wahid Hasyim No. 30 (4-star.), . edit
- Wisma 81, Jl Jend Sudirman No 420, ☎ (0761)858429, . Downsides: Appears to be run by young hooligans. Rooms have insects -flying and crawling. No hot water. Had to argue to get AC remote. Asked for quiet room, was placed in a room near the front desk. Requested to move due to the noise of the staff. Had to argue to get moved. The room smells like an old smokers club. The internet connects but does not work. On the plus side, western style toilets and a small complimentary bar of soap. 135,000 IDR/night. edit
- Malaysia Consulate, Jl. Jend.Sudirman, ☎ (62-761) 22-305. edit
- Singapore Consulate, Gedung Surya Dumai, Lantai 4 Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 395, ☎ (62-761) 41-010. edit
- Siak Sri Indrapura, a town of old Siak Sultanate. Visit Siak Sultanate Palace and many historial buildings.
- Muara Takus Temple, an ancient buddhist temple from ancient Srivijaya Kingdom.
- Dumai, a little port and beach town.
- Bagan Siapi-api, a little fishermen's town. Famous for chinese festivals like "Bakar Tongkang", Chinese New Year and Cap Go Meh.
- West Sumatra, the Land of Minangkabau culture. - Padang, only 6 hours drive, Bukittinggi 4.5 Hours drive.
- North Sumatra, the Land of Batak culture, lake, waterfalls, mountains, and orangutans.
- Batam Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Bintan Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Kuala Lumpur and Malacca in Malaysia.