Pekanbaru has the reputation of being one of the cleanest big cities in Indonesia and is the third largest city in Sumatra after Medan and Palembang. The city is developing rapidly, but still has much unique architecture with a taste of Malay culture.
- Batik Air flies serves 3 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru.
- Citilink serves daily flight to/from Jakarta and Batam
- Garuda Indonesia flies 6 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru.
- Indonesia AirAsia serve the route to/from Bandung and Medan.
- Lion Air flies 7 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru and also serves the route from/to Batam and Medan.
- Sky Aviation serves daily flight to/from Dumai and Tanjung Pinang.
- Sriwijaya Air serves the route to/from Batam, Medan and Jakarta.
- Tigerair Mandala serves daily flight to Jakarta and Yogyakarta
- Air Asia (Call centre 0804 1 333333 in Indonesia; 1 300 88 9933 in Malaysia) flies 2 flights daily from/to Kuala Lumpur-Pekanbaru.
- Firefly Call centre: +60 3 7845-4543 in Malaysia) flies daily from/to Subang (Kuala Lumpur) and Johor Bahru.
- Sky Aviation flies 5 times a week from/to Malacca.
- Silkair flies between Singapore and Pekanbaru 5 times a week.
- Tiger Mandala flies between Singapore and Pekanbaru 4 times a week.
- To Riau Islands: Several companies operate ferries to Sekupang, Batam. Most ferries make a stop at Tanjung Balai Karimun as well as Tanjung Buton and Selat Panjang in Riau. Now involves a 3h minivan ride and a 3-6h ferry. Tickets can be purchased at the Sungai Duku Port in Pekanbaru for the minivan and ferry combination ticket. The minivan picks you up at your hotel, picks up the rest of the passengers, and then drives to the ferry dock in Tanjung Buton, about 3.5 hours away.
- To Selatpanjang, Bengkalis, Siak Sri Indrapura and Sei. Pakning served by Sungai Duku Port Pekanbaru.
There are several transportation mode in Pekanbaru such as taxi, bus, oplet (share taxi), bajaj (auto rickshaw), ojek (motorcycle taxi) and Trans Metro Pekanbaru (bus rapid transit).
For land transport, Pekanbaru is connected to Padang, Medan, Jambi, Palembang, and other cities or regions in Riau Province and Sumatra Island by the existence of Bandar Raya Payung Sekaki Terminal Bus (Terminal AKAP). The terminal was officially open for public in 2007, replacing Pekanbaru's former "Mayang Terurai Terminal Bus" due to heavy congestion. However, practically the Bandar Raya Payung Sekaki Bus Terminal is not fully utilized by several prominent Bus Companies such as Pelangi, Makmur, Riau Mandiri and Sidomulyo as well as other bus operators because of the location which is deemed by some parties to be not as strategic as Mayang Terurai Terminal Bus.
Despite of being one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Indonesia, Pekanbaru is not a main tourist destination. But if you are in the city for some reasons, there are some interesting places in Pekanbaru:
- Sang Nila Utama Museum, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. (The one and only museum in Pekanbaru. Displays some cultural and historical collection of Riau.). edit
- Idrus Tintin Arts Hall, Jl. Jend. Sudirman (One of the city's landmark. A great building with Malay and modern architecture. Some great events were held at here i.e. Musabaqah Tilawatil Qur'an (MTQ) to Indonesian Film Festival). edit
- The Great Mosque of An-Nur, Jl. Syekh Burhanuddin (One of the city's landmark. The largest mosque in Riau. This mosque is located just opposite to The Great HKBP Cathedral.). edit
- The Great Mosque of Pekanbaru, Jl. Masjid Raya (Pasar Bawah) (The oldest mosque in Pekanbaru. Built by the Siak Sultanate.). edit
- Soeman H.S. Regional Library, Jl. Jend. Sudirman (One of the finest landmark in Pekanbaru. The largest library in Sumatra Island.). edit
- Chinese-Malay Quarter (Kampung Tionghoa Melayu), Jl. Dr. Leimena / Jalan Karet. The city's little Chinatown. Several events are held at this place especially during Chinese New Year and Chinese festive seasons. edit
- Labersa Water Park, Jl. Labersa Parit Indah (Comprises of several facilities i.e. Water park, theme park, golf course, 5-star hotel and convention centre.). This site is located a bit far from the downtown of Pekanbaru. edit
- Lembah Sari Reservoir Park, Rumbai (A recreational park. Popular place to people from other regencies and towns in Riau province.). edit
- Alam Mayang Park, Jl. Harapan Raya (A prominent recreational spot, fishing, and outbond park.). edit
- Riau Cultural Park, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, ☎ +62 761 21300. 07.30 - 16.00. Soak up the arts at the park, theleading venue for art performances and activities. The park has separatebuildings for sports, dance, fine artsand theatre, in addition to two outdoortheatres Free. edit
- Play golf, Pekanbaru Golf Course Country Club at Kubang, Simpang Tiga Golf Course at Simpang Tiga, Labersa Golf Course at Labersa and Rumbai Golf Course at Rumbai Chevron Camp. edit
There are three major malls in Pekanbaru. The best two are Mall SKA and Mall Ciputra Seraya. The older Mall Pekanbaru is not as well appointed as the other two but is still a good mall and offer a wide selection of IT and mobile phone products as well as food and beverage outlets. The location of the three malls are locally well known so getting there shouldn't be a problem. There are several other less interesting malls in Pekanbaru, some more closely resemble an indoor market than a mall and are great places for bargains.
- Mall Pekanbaru, Jl Jend. Sudirman. Mall Pekanbaru (usually abbreviated as MP) can be considered as one of the first shopping malls to be built in Pekanbaru. The prominent outlets that can be found in MP are: MP Handphone Centre, Mega Dept. Store, Lucky Mart, Gramedia Book Store, Solaria, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Ikan Bakar Cianjur, KFC, Bread Boutique, MP Night Club, etc. edit
- Plaza Senapelan, Jl Teuku Umar. The best known occupier is definitely Suzuya Dept. Store that has been open to the public since the 1990s. Plaza Senapelan is also considered to be one of the oldest shopping centres in Pekanbaru alongside Plaza Citra. This shopping centre is known to be the Pekanbaru's top handphone centre. edit
- Plaza Sukaramai, Jl Jend. Sudirman. Ramayana Dept. Store, Trade Centre and Sukaramai Market. edit
- Pasar Bawah (Pasar Wisata/Tourist Market). You can find souvenirs, traditional foods and snacks, traditional products, and import products. edit
- Mall SKA, Jl Soekarno Hatta. Considered to be the biggest shopping mall and shopping complex in Pekanbaru for now. The prominent outlets that we can find such as Matahari Dept. Store, Hypermart, Pizza Hut, A&W, Excelso, J.CO Donuts and Cofee, BreadTalk, Excelsior, RotiBoy, Solaria, Rice Bowl, KFC, Disc Tarra, The Face Shop, The Body Shop, Electronic Centre, etc. edit
- Mall Ciputra Seraya, Jl Riau. One of the most visited shopping mall in Pekanbaru. It has varieties of prominent outlets like Matahari Dept. Store, Hypermart Supermarket, Hush Puppies, The Executive, Everbest, Shilin Taiwan Street Snacks, XO Suki, KFC, Texas Chicken, A&W, Pizza Hut, Solaria, Rice Bowl, J.CO Donuts and Coffee, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Disc Tarra, Time Zone, Karisma Book Shop as well as XXI or Riau 21 (the largest cinema brand in Indonesia) and many more. edit
- Plaza Citra, Jl Pepaya. Alongside with Plaza Senapelan, this shopping plaza is one of the first two shopping centres to be built in Pekanbaru although the popularity now has been dropped . Popular tenants are Matahari Dept. Store, Mister Bakso, Timezone edit
- Metropolitan City (MTC), Jl HR Subrantas. Consists of some prominent outlets like Giants Hypermarket, KFC and solaria restaurant. edit
- Panam Square, Jl HR Subrantas. Ramayana Dept. Store. edit
- Smart Computerindo, Jl Riau No. 12B, ☎ +62 761 28761, +62 822 8306 6397, . where you can find all the latest IT stuff and gadgets with good pricing edit
- Pasar Buah Pekanbaru, Jl Jend. Sudirman No. 88-92. A prominent grocery and convenience store in Pekanbaru. edit
- Durian at durian stalls along Jl. Sudirman. edit
- Kedai Kopi Seleraku, Jl. Teuku Umar No.90 C. Famous for Nyonya food, lots of choices.One of the oldest Kedai Kopi in PekanBaru edit
- Restoran Taman Anggrek, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai (Komp. Taman Anggrek), ☎ 571398 or 571425. A famous restaurant for some Chinese foods. Restoran Taman Anggrek is managed under the same management as Restoran Anom edit
- Koki Sunda, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No.247, ☎ +62761849998. Sundanese restaurant. edit
- Minang Soto, Jl. Pattimura, Rumbai. Famous for the Soto Padang. There are two restaurants with a same name in the street. Recommended is the one in a shophouse. edit
- Pondok Samba Lado Hijau, Jl. Soekarno Hatta No. 88 F, ☎ +6276136456. The speciality here is Fish, infused with Minangkabau/Malay style. edit
- RM Kota Buana, Jl. HOS Cokroaminoto no. 16, ☎ +6276122874. Minangkabau restaurant. Famous for their Rendang and Cincang Kambing. edit
- Apollo Seafood Restaurant, Jl. Jend. A. Yani, ☎ +62-761-858912. is one of a number of Chinese restaurants in Pekanbaru, and also has branch on Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto no. 30-32 Phone +62-761-35234 edit
- Pondok Gurih, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 202, ☎ +6276127069. When you enter this restaurant, the staff will hit the Gong at the entrance. edit
- Bumbu Desa, Jl. Jend. Sudirman. Sundanese restaurant. edit
- Riau Kuring, Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 405-409. Located at Van Square area, next to Taste D'bistro Cafe edit
- Tenda Biru, Jl. Arifin Ahmad. Famous for Mie Aceh (Aceh Noodles) edit
- Bebek Goreng H. Slamet, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 201, ☎ 076144886. edit
- Ayam Goreng Suharti, Jl. Riau. Famous for its Javanese fried chicken and Yogyakarta food such as gudeg and sambal krecek. edit
- Kedai Kopi Kim Teng, Jl. Senapelan. A very popular Chinese kopitiam (coffee shop) in town. Nowadays, Kim Teng has been spreading their franchise into many spots within the city. edit
- Bakmi Gila, Jl Gatot Subroto. A new place in town for people who like noodles & spicy food, bakmi gila means crazy noodle. edit
- Kedai Kopi Gundaling, Jl. Juanda. You can taste the most authentic localized Chinese food in this Chinese kopitiam, especially an original menu from Bagan Siapi-api that cannot be found anywhere else. A specialty named Karipeng contains pork and is non-halal. edit
- Restaurant Anom, Jl. Gatot Subroto No. 3, ☎ +6276120312. A prominent Chinese restaurant that serves varieties of Chinese foods. edit
- Taste D'bistro Vansquare, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 405-409. A cozy place to chill and gather while enjoying some western cuisine as well as Indonesian traditional cuisine. edit
- Pondok Serba Lezat, Jl. Ahmad Yani. Served some famous Malay and Minang cuisine. Pondok Serba Lezat has several branches that serve the same cuisine as well as similar concept of dining which are located in the city i.e. Pondok Serba Nikmat at Jl. Riau and Pondok Serba Sedap at Jl. Jend. Sudirman. edit
- Kedai Kopi King, Jl. Juanda. Served some Chinese cuisine such as Kwee Tiaw, rice vermicelli and the famous chicken porridge. edit
- The Local Pantry, Komplek Riau Business Centre (Jl. Riau). A cozy cafe and gathering spot, serves wide variety of food and beverages and equipped by karaoke studio in the same building. edit
There are many type of accommodations that can be chosen by people if they are in Pekanbaru. Such as:
- Hotel Aryaduta, Jl. Diponegoro No. 34, ☎ 62-761-44200. 5-star. Reasonable rates with special discounts during the weekend. Superior room starts from IDR550,000 per night (inclusive of a buffet breakfast). The hotel has a nice swimming pool and soccer field. edit
- The Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, Jl Tengku Zainal Abidin No.1, ☎ 62-761-850888, . One of few 5-star hotel. Located within the mall and shopping complex (Mall Pekanbaru) and has special services such as Traditional Massage, Sauna and Health club. This Hotel is connected directly to first class entertainment in Pekanbaru, such as Karaoke club and KTV. edit
- Labersa Grand Hotel & Convention Center, Jl. Labersa, Parit Indah, . 5-Star. One of the most luxurious hotel in Pekanbaru. 10 minutes from the airport. This hotel is located adjacent to Labersa Golf Course and Labersa Water Park as well as Labersa Theme Park. edit
- The Premiere Hotel, Jl Jend Sudirman No 389, ☎ 62-761-7891818. 4 star city hotel with spacious rooms and ballroom for weddings and events. edit
- Grand Elite Hotel, ☎ 0761 - 860 988, . Grand Elite Hotel Pekanbaru is the first Business Hotel in Pekanbaru. Located in Komplek Riau Business Center at Jl. Riau in the Tampan District, a well-known entertainment area. edit
- Hotel Grand Zuri Pekanbaru, Jl. Teuku Umar No.7, ☎ 62-761-857888, . 4-star hotel, located just opposite and next to Mall Pekanbaru and Senapelan Plaza, in the heart of Pekanbaru. 24 hour coffee shop, LoungeBar, Taurus Health Club and outdoor pool. edit
- Hotel Pangeran Pekanbaru, Jl.Jend. Sudirman No. 371-373, ☎ +62761853636, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. 4-star. Located near Pizza Hut, opposite Martin Boutique and Durian stalls. edit
- Mutiara Merdeka Hotel, Jl. Kom. L Yos Sudarso 12-A, ☎ 6276131272, . 4-star. edit
- Ratu Mayang Garden Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 11, ☎ +6276140370. Formerly known as Sahid Hotel Pekanbaru edit
- Furaya Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 72, ☎ 6276126688, . Best known as the place for Chinese Wedding Reception since long time ago. Located near to Pasar Buah Pekanbaru (Pekanbaru Fruit Market). edit
- Hotel Ibis Pekanbaru, Jl. Soekarno Hatta Kav. 148, ☎ +62761571600, . 3-star. The only Accord hotel in Pekanbaru. edit
- IShine Hotel Pekanbaru, ☎ 62-761 886888, . 3-star Boutique business hotel with an ultramodern theme. edit
- Winstar Hotel, ☎ 0761 - 23588, . Winstar Hotel Pekanbaru is located in the heart of Pekanbaru. On top of its modern minimalist design and international service standard, it will only take less than 3 minutes to the 3 major commercial streets (Jl. Ahmad Yani, Jl. Riau, Jl. Jend. Sudirman). edit
- Anom Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto No. 1-3, ☎ +6276136083. The original famous Anom Restaurant is located in this hotel, they have now opened a branch on Taman Anggrek. edit
- Aziza Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai. 3-star. A modern Islamic hotel in Pekanbaru. edit
- Sabrina Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai, ☎ (0761) 789-3292. checkin: 6am; checkout: 12pm. Modern budget hotel for travellers. Includes free WiFi, air con, tv and water Standard 167,000. (0.5016439,101.4228435) edit
- Pelangi Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto 39 B, ☎ +62761854899. Modern budget hotel managed by Grand Zuri. edit
- Amaris Hotel, Jl. K.H Wahid Hasyim No. 30 (4-star.), . edit
- Wisma 81, Jl Jend Sudirman No 420, ☎ (0761)858429, . 135,000 IDR/night. edit
- Grand Tjokro Pekanbaru, Jl. Jend. Sudirman. edit
- Cititel Pekanbaru, Jl. Sisingamangaraja, ☎ +62761 36777. edit
- Malaysia Consulate, Jl. Jend.Sudirman, ☎ (62-761) 22-305. edit
- Singapore Consulate, Gedung Surya Dumai, Lantai 4 Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 395, ☎ (62-761) 41-010. edit
- Siak Sri Indrapura, a town of old Siak Sultanate. Visit Siak Sultanate Palace and many historial buildings.
- Muara Takus Temple, an ancient buddhist temple from ancient Srivijaya Kingdom.
- Dumai, a little port and beach town.
- Bagan Siapi-api, a little fishermen's town. Famous for chinese festivals like "Bakar Tongkang", Chinese New Year and Cap Go Meh.
- West Sumatra, the Land of Minangkabau culture. - Padang, only 6 hours drive, Bukittinggi 4.5 Hours drive.
- North Sumatra, the Land of Batak culture, lake, waterfalls, mountains, and orangutans.
- Batam Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Bintan Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Kuala Lumpur and Malacca in Malaysia.